As we continue our journey through Exodus, here’s how you can be praying this week:
READ: Exodus 17:8-18:27
Chapter 17 focus verses: Moses said to Joshua, “Choose some men for us and go out, fight with Amalek. Tomorrow I will stand on the top of the hill with the staff of God in my hand.” So Joshua did as Moses told him, and fought with Amalek, while Moses, Aaron, and Hur went up to the top of the hill. Whenever Moses held up his hand, Israel prevailed; and whenever he lowered his hand, Amalek prevailed. But Moses’ hands grew weary; so they took a stone and put it under him, and he sat on it. Aaron and Hur held up his hands, one on one side, and the other on the other side; so his hands were steady until the sunset. And Joshua defeated Amalek and his people with the sword.
Chapter 18 focus verses: Moses’ father-in-law said to him, “What you are doing is not good. You will surely wear yourself out, both you and these people with you. For the task is too heavy for you; you cannot do it alone… Let them sit as judges for the people at all times; let them bring every important case to you, but decide every minor case themselves. So it will be easier for you, and they will bear the burden with you. If you do this, and God so commands you, then you will be able to endure, and all these people will go to their home in peace.”
• Come before the Lord with a grateful heart, thanking Him and worshipping Him for being the God who not only wins the battles in our lives but wipes out the memory of whomever or whatever brings destruction.
• Ask God to provide ways for you to “hold up the hands” of Pastor Drew Sams, as he stands on this hill and leads BAC. Pray for our pastors and staff by name in their delegated responsibilities. (Here’s a list of the entire staff: http://www.belairpres.org/page/7932?groupid=38845 ). Ask God to empower, protect and lead them. Thank God for each and every one of them.
• Pray that God will continue to raise up strong, competent, prayerful, Biblically literate leaders for BAC. Pray for the Nominating Committee as they do this important work, led by the Holy Spirit. Ask God to make you aware and sensitive to the Holy Spirit calling you to serve.
• Pray for the All Shall Be Well Conference (Feb. 9) and the Baja Build (Feb. 8-10).
• Pray for those who are affected by the rains and mudslides. Ask God for provision for those who have been or will be evacuated. Pray for the homeless on the streets of LA.
• Thank God for the ministry of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. as he is nationally honored. Pray for our country’s leaders. Hold up their hands. Pray for those appointed as judges in our courts.
CONSIDER: “We (Quakers) often say we have no priest, but that is not so. The fact is that we are all priests, or potential priests. In the same way, we may think we have no leaders or potential leaders, but that is not so either. We are all leaders or potential leaders. Just as we are all required to be prepared to minister through the spoken word, we are all required to be prepared to receive a leading, or prompting which may call us and others in the direction we had not dreamt of.” (Margaret Heathfield)
“A volunteer is a person who can see what others cannot see; who can feel what most do not feel. Often, such gifted persons do not think of themselves as volunteers, but as citizens - citizens in the fullest sense: partners in civilization.” (Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.)
This week write one “hand raising” note to one (or more) of our pastors/leaders.