As we continue our Advent sermon series, The Speed of Light, here’s how you can be praying.
READ: Luke 1: 26-56 (using various parts for this guide)
The angel Gabriel was sent by God to a virgin. The virgin’s name was Mary. And he came to her and said, “Greetings, favored one! The Lord is with you.” But she was much perplexed by his words and pondered what sort of greeting this might be. The angel said to her, “Do not be afraid, Mary, for you have found favor with God. And now, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son, and you will name him Jesus. He will be great, and will be called the Son of the Most High, and the Lord God will give to him the throne of his ancestor David. He will reign over the house of Jacob forever, and of his kingdom there will be no end.” Mary said to the angel, “How can this be, since I am a virgin?” The angel said to her, “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you; therefore the child to be born will be holy; he will be called Son of God. And now, your relative Elizabeth in her old age has also conceived a son; and this is the sixth month for her who was said to be barren. For nothing will be impossible with God.” Then Mary said, “Here am I, the servant of the Lord; let it be with me according to your word.” Then the angel departed from her.
And blessed is she who believed that there would be a fulfillment of what was spoken to her by the Lord.”
• Thank the Lord that he uses humble, ordinary people to accomplish life changing and world changing works.
• Ask God to slow you down and create openness and sensitivity to His Holy Spirit to hear what He wants to do in and through you. Pray not only for ears, but for a heart that hears His voice. Ask him to slow you down enough to receive the gift God is giving you.
• Pray that you are able to respond, “Here am I, a servant of the Lord; let it be with me according to your word.” Pray that you are blessed in your believing.
• Pray for the Angel City Christmas concert and Winter Wonder on December 14th & 15th and for our Christmas Eve worship services asking that many new people will Discover Bel Air Church and stay. Pray that God will lay on the hearts of many in our congregation to step out and serve at one or more of these events so that we can shine welcome and hospitality well.
• Pray that all of us will be a part of the great works God is doing at BAC by contributing financially. Pray about how you might help as we close this year. Pray for God’s provision.
Listening to self: How are you observing the Sabbath?
Listening to others: How do you see others observing and experiencing the Sabbath?
Listening to God: How would God like for you to observe the Sabbath with Him?
“The meaning of the Sabbath is to celebrate time rather than space.” --Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel
“God gave us two hands, one for receiving and one for giving.” --Billy Graham
“God never gives a gift they are not capable of receiving. If He gives the gift of Christmas, it is because we all have the ability to understand and receive it.”-- Pope Francis.
LISTEN: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifCWN5pJGIE Mary Did You Know
PRACTICE: Practice observing the Sabbath in a new, meaningful, honoring of God way.